mercoledì 20 luglio 2011

AN UNUSUAL AND EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH DIANA EDEN (COSTUME DESIGNER OF "SANTA BARBARA" FROM 1992 TO 1993)


Diana Eden has decided to release for you of "Santa Barbara Blog" an exclusive interview about  her experience in "Santa Barbara". During this interview, we will analyze her work on the soap and get to know some background unpublished. Miss Eden sent to me some pics that you can see below. Have Fun!





You are an icon in your work. You were nominated for Emmy Awards three times and you have won numerous awards. Your career is full of successes. And just think that as a child you wanted to become a ballerina! Selfishly I am glad that you had grown 2” taller…

Mille Grazie! Quello mi ha reso il sorriso” (Thanks so much! You make me smile)

You came to SB in 1992 and you remained there until the end in 1993. How did you come to SB? Who hired you?

The head of the costume department at NBC, Jim Alvarez, recommended me to one of the producers, Francesca James. Then I was approved by the Executive Producer, Paul Rauch.

I'm not an insider. What was your job on SB? How many of the costumes did you actually design and build and how many came off the rack?

As Costume Designer, my job is to design, rent, or purchase every single item that any actor wears on the show. Much of the clothing is purchased, and only special gowns, bridal wear, or special costumes, like for Midsummer Night’s Dream are made from scratch. But I am responsible for every item you see on the screen, even jewelry and shoes. I have a staff of 5 or 6 costumers to help me.

When Julia (Nancy Grahn) re-wed Mason (Gordon Thomson), I felt as though I was in the 1940's. Did you design Julia’s off-white chiffon  gown to have that 1940s appeal? The gown had a sweetheart neckline, was trimmed with pearls and rhinestones and cost over $3,000. It took 150 hours of work to realize it. Is it true that, on Nancy’s suggestion, you chose an ivory-colored crepe de chine, decorated with spangles and pearls and a long train hanging from the shoulders? 150 hours of work? My God! The guests were all dressed in black since they thought they were attending a funeral. Can you talk about this wedding dress, please? Where is the dress now?

I had only been the Costume Designer for two days when I was told that “Julia” was going to re-wed “Mason” and that I had better get busy designing right away. Nancy had told me she liked the 1940’s silhouette, and I went with that idea. It came to me very quickly. I had read in the script that she would run through a field after the wedding, so I wanted something that would flow, I didn’t think a traditional veil would work, and I liked the idea of doing something different. That’s how the idea of the veil attaching at the shoulders came from. I’m not sure where the dress is now. Probably in storage at NBC.



When B.J (Sidney Penny) dressed like Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream, her costume was a green leotard with chiffon leaves, gold thread and a skull cap with green and topaz stones. The outfit, designed by you, cost approximately $ 900. Why did you choose this particular costume for BJ? How was it working with Sidney Penny?

I adored Sydney. She is such a lovely girl and a joy to work with. I wanted a charming costume that showed off her figure and I had great fun watching my design develop from the sketch into the real costume. There are many talented seamstresses and tailors at NBC who do all the actual sewing and beading.

When SB's costume department learned Mason was going to give Julia a charm bracelet, they wanted to find the perfect one. It is true that you purchased Monet lockets from Robinson's in L.A. and attached them to a simple link bracelet?

I honestly don’t remember this item.

It isn't every day that a girl gets to rush a sorority. For her party, Lilly Blake ( Paula Irvine) donned a pale pink dress covered with lace and beading. A tulle stole completed the outfit. Did you interact much with the actors? Was your work place far away from them? Did you listen to their requests? Do You listen to their requests? Were the actors demanding or easygoing about what they wore on the show?

Yes, I interact with actors a lot, every day in fact. I am careful to ask for their requests, I know their favorite colors, and I make sure that when I am fitting their costumes or dresses that they are happy with the fit. It is very much of a collaboration, and I like it that way.

I really loved Gina's Geisha garb. Her gold satin outfit was rented for approximately $250. Tucked into her wig was an antique hair pin that the SB costume department designed for $50. How was it working with Robin Mattson (Gina)?

Robin Mattson is a very dynamic personality.

You also created the costumes for Episode 2000. Gina is hunted by the police and after a series of adventures, she disguises herself using the costumes of a theater company and she is married to Lionel. A Shakespearian episode of SB, very nice. Do you remember it? Can you tell me about those costumes?

This is one of my favorite costumes of all that I did for Santa Barbara. I had to come up with a costume that was 1) suitable for a Shakespeare play, and 2) suitable for a wedding. Women did not wear white for weddings until about a hundred years ago, but people think of white for a wdding, so I had to do something that would work for both. I loved designing this and watching it come to life. For a long time this costume was on display at NBC for tourists to see.


You created the costumes for the last episode -- the wedding of BJ and Warren (Jack Wagner). Can you tell us about BJ's dress? I love and I will always love Sophia’s (Judith McConnell) emerald green dress. In my opinion, it’s one of your best creations. Enchanting.

This was another favorite costume. You may notice, I never like to do the traditional wedding gown, I always want to make it more interesting. I actually wanted an authentic 1930’s wedding gown, but since I knew we were filming outdoors in December, Sydney would freeze to death, so I also designed the white velvet coat to go over it. I also designed and made the silk flowers in her hair, on a little “Juliet” cap. As it turned out, it was freezing cold the day we filmed, with an icy wind coming up off the ocean. All my actresses were huddled in winter coats inbetween takes.

Who decided what kind of dress she should wear?

For the most part, I decide those things, but I always get approval from the producer, especially if I am doing something unusual. The producer has to approve the sketch before I can start having the costume constructed.

Can you tell us about the phases of creating a costume on SB?

Yes, first I see what is required from the script, what the story is telling me. Then I talk to the actor or actress (especially if they are in a leading role, not the smaller parts) and sketch up my ideas. Once I get approval from the producer, the sketch is taken to the costume workroom, where I discuss it with the head cutter. I purchase the fabric and all the trim, and watch the costume at each stage of its construction. Then the actress comes in for a fitting, which I supervise. When I am happy with the look and the fit, I choose the shoes and jewelry and make sure it is ready in time for the shooting day.

How was it working on SB? A true fan is very curious about all the background. It may not add anything valuable, but it's fun! Are there any spicy anecdotes or secrets you're willing to share now after so many years? Antipathy between actors? Tension on the set?

I wish I could give you some “spicy” details, but I never will do that. I see the actors before makeup, in their underwear, on good days and bad days, and they need to trust me. That lasts forever. I will tell you that I LOVED going to work every day. There is a comraderie of working on a set with the same group of people day after day – they become like family. I was especially fond of Gordon Thomson (Mason), Sydney Penny (BJ), Judith McConnell (Sophia), A Martinez (Cruz) and Eileen Davidson (Kelly). They wew good fun, decent, kind people, and excellent at their jobs. Not everyone got on with everyone, just like in any family, but when the camera rolls, everyone pulls together.

In the USA “Santa Barbara”  always remained in the bottom of the rankings ratings. In the rest of the world and especially in Europe it has had excellent ratings. Furthermore, despite having low ratings, it has been the most award-winning soap and and still there are dozens and dozens of sites dedicated to this soap, unlike the others soaps cancelled. Do People still contact you to talk about Sb? What made SB so special? Please tell us what you liked about "Santa Barbara" and then what you didn't like about it.

One of my favorite stories about SB is about a girl who grew up in Belarus watching SB. She wrote me about it and a year later, after she had come to the USA on a tennis scholarship and also to study costumes, contacted me again. Once she graduated, she came to intern with me on the soap Passions, and now works full time in Hollywood on major Tv Shows such as Dexter, Dollhouse and more. This is the effect SB has had on people, and I am grateful that it has.

What are your professional plans for the future?

I want to help young people all over the world to learn about how to work in costumes for TV and film through my website and online training program. Through the internet and skype, I can interact with them personally and teach them about working in costumes in films, and help them with the start of their professional careers. I emphasize the practical aspects of being part of a film production, not just the design element, and I design the course for each individual who signs on according to their interests and needs.


This interview is designed primarily for the Italian public. In our country, “Santa Barbara” was very much loved and followed. You speak Italian very very well!! Have you ever been in Italy? What do you know about our country? Do You want to say something to the Italian public who loved your art and your work?


Sì, mi piace molto l’Italia e gli Italiani. Mio marito (Dominic Calandra) è Italiano-Americano. I suoi nonni sono nati in Santa Croce di Magliano e San Giuliano di Puglia nell’Abruzzo. Dominic ed io abbiamo visitato Italia molte volte, tutte le regioni. Ho studiato italiano ma non ho occasione parlare molto spesso la lingua. Parlo italiano soltanto quando viaggiamo in Italia.
Spero che i vostri seguaci godono delle mie storie su Santa Barbara e spero di avervi come allievi Italiani.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

CHI E' COLLEGATO?